Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Creamy Spinach Pizza with Grilled Chicken


A couple months ago, we ate at a yummy Italian place that had all kinds of delicious pizzas.  I LOVE pizza.  I could eat anything in pizza form.  We are always experimenting with yummy, different types of pizza.  It's a quick meal to throw together any night of the week, and I always have ingredients for a good pizza dough.  The pizza my husband ordered, was white pizza with spinach and olives and topped with grilled chicken, we decided it needed to be replicated in our home, and it turned out divine!  "Birthday dinner worthy!" said my husband. 


Here's what I did:

1 C. hot tap water
2 tsp. yeast (if i'm in a hurry, i'll bump it up to 1 TB)
1 TB sugar

Let these three sit and get bubbly and happy, happy, happy right in your mixing bowl.  Once the yeast is nice and activated, add flour gradually ( I use about 2 1/2 cups) and 2 tsp. salt.  Knead for a few minutes.  Now, if you have time, let it rise until double before rolling out, if it's 5:00 and you're just getting this thing going and you will have a hungry husband walking in the door any minute, then just let the dough "rest" for about 10 minutes, until it is nice and workable.  I like to bake my pizza at a very high heat and roll the dough nice and thin, but use your own preference.  If I am using my stone, I like to preheat it in a 500 degree oven.  If I'm using a normal pizza pan, then I don't preheat it, but I spread it will olive oil and bake at 450. 

Now on the sauce.  THIS is what takes this from good to DIVINE.  I used our famous alfredo sauce rather than a typical marinara or pizza sauce.  Spread generously onto the dough, then add a layer of spinach leaves and sliced olives.  Next, I like to add mozzarella cheese to cover and make sure the spinach doesn't get crunchy.  Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, and top with thinly sliced grilled chicken.

Think of the possibilities!  I'm already thinking of so many different concoctions that would be great to throw together using this crust and sauce.  I made my kids their own "plain" one sans spinach and olives. 
Backyard dinner, eating this pizza... Does it get better than that?

Posted by: Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment