Monday, October 14, 2013

Sausage tortellini soup


It's hot, satisfying and deeply flavorful.
No, I'm not talking about this guy.




This soup has been a favorite in our family for a while now. 
Perfect for this amazing fall weather. It's a beautiful change from your regular veggie beef.


1 LB Italian sausage
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 small zucchini chopped
5-6 large carrots sliced
10 cups beef stock
1 big can spaghetti sauce
1 bag frozen tortellini pasta (or in my case I did ravioli because that's what I had)
Dried basil
Garlic
Salt/pepper
Grated parmesan cheese


Brown Italian sausage in a hot pot. Once the meat is done, remove it from the pot.
Hit the pot with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add onion and let it sauté for about 5 minutes. Add carrots and zucchini. At this point season the veggies with salt, pepper and a little garlic.  Let the vegetables cook for another 5ish minutes. Return the sausage back to the pot. Add the stalk (either store bought or your own) and the spaghetti sauce. My favorite is Hunts four cheese. Add a tablespoon or two of dried basil.  Bring it to a boil then drop the heat and let it simmer until vegetables are tender.  Add frozen pasta at the very end. It only needs 5-10 minutes to cook. Top individual bowls with grated parmesan before serving.

*Another idea? Brown sausage and then throw it all in the crock pot, adding the tortellini 1/2 hour before. Easy peasy!


These pictures really don't look like much but trust me, the flavor is insane!
Posted by Cambria


11 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this soup, I think she has even topped it with garlic croutons which is yummy yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! The Raricks will be making this one soon. Thanks for sharing your amazing recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at hot and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look really yummy and warm for these cold fall days, BTW I LOVE your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cami, I made a creamy tortellini soup the other day and added fresh spinach, it was so good. Next time I'm going to try this recipe with the sausage and squash, it looks delish. Thx for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!!! Cami brought this to us last week and it is SO yummy! My husband can't stop talking about how good it is. He will be very happy to know that the recipe is on here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first of your recipes that I have absconded with! I love this soup and make it about once a month, during the winter! It is just soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I am making this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this tonight...absolutely delicious! It will be a tried and true recipe in the Rarick household from here on out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. D-LISH! We made this last week and Peyt was a little skeptical but we both LOVED it! Your blog is my go-to-recipe book these days.

    ReplyDelete