Monday, September 9, 2013

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread Topped with Caramel Fudge

I ADORE zucchini bread.  In fact, I dare say it is my favorite sweet bread.  I have made this 3 times this month and still find myself craving it.  The bread itself is actually quite healthy, and not super sweet, which makes it yummy for a quick breakfast.  I use applesauce in place of butter or shortening and sub half of the flour for whole wheat flour.  However, if you choose to use my recipe for the creamy caramel fudge topping, this recipe is suddenly a dessert.  This is a good freezer option too, and neighbors and friends LOVE when you show up on their doorstep with this.  I KNOW ya'll have zucchini sitting on your counter top right now, so stop staring at it, and MAKE THIS.  You will LOVE it.


Here's what I did:
In my Kitchenaid, I mix 6 eggs, 4 c. sugar, 1 can applesauce, 2 TB vanilla, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp nutmeg.  Mix until well combined.  Next add 4 cups grated peeled zucchini, 3 cups white flour, 3 cups wheat flour.  Don't over-mix at this point.  Pour batter into 3 sprayed/greased loaf pans and bake at 325 for about 55 minutes. 

While the bread is cooling, you can get started on the caramel fudge frosting.  In a sauce pan, over medium high heat add 1 1/2 sticks of butter, 1 1/ 2 cups of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of milk.  Stir with a wisk until it begins to boil.  Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon of vanilla and powdered sugar.  Beat by hand VERY briskly until it thickens and becomes fudge-like, but still pour-able.  Poor over your loaves.  Cool and slice.  MMMMMM.  Loaves do not need to be completely cooled in order to frost, but let them cool for 20 minutes or so.

Note: another yummy variation is to add 1/2 bag of mini chocolate chips and forego the frosting.

 Posted by Tiffany :)

No comments:

Post a Comment