Thursday, July 11, 2013

Caprese Salad

I first fell in love with this at a wedding. While others were "well-wishing" the happy couple, there I stood all night in front of the Caprese Salad, scooping, dipping, moaning.  

With cheeks-a-bulgin'  I tried to muster polite smiles to the other guests who were hoping for a taste, yet I knew full well that this was one time I just had to pull a selfie.  I couldn't stop. 

 It was a beautiful experience and I shall never forget it.
Thank you Cassie for tying the knot. 


Caprese Salad

Fresh Mozzarella - sliced or the small balls
Tomatoes - any kind, garden are obviously best
Fresh Basil - can be whole or sliced thinly, or even torn
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar Reduction (optional)
Fresh ground Salt and Pepper

General rule of thumb: Use equal amounts of Mozzarella and tomatoes
 
For the version pictured below I used: 1 container of the small mozzarella balls cut in half, container of grape tomatoes and heirlooms grape tomatoes cut in half and a package of fresh basil rolled up and sliced thinly.  I served it bruschetta-style atop toasted baguette slices which I had drizzled with olive oil and baked until crisp.






Sometimes simple flavors come together and make
MAGICAL THINGS

 Oh yes they do.




I made this version below with the balsamic reduction. 
Gives a whole new flavor sensation.


To make Balsamic Vinegar Reduction, bring Balsamic Vinegar to a boil and simmer gently, uncovered until thick and syrupy.  Watch this, I've made Balsamic suckers on accident many times.  Gives a great flavor addition but not necessary. 



Easy peasy.  And beautiful.  So good.  

Heck. 

I just licked my screen.





Posted by: Rona






No comments:

Post a Comment