Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Crab Pasta Salad

So I have this son, he's pretty awesome.
He's a fitness freak and strong as an ox.
He eats Elk and veggies.


Disclaimer: I did not take this picture, that would be weird and creepy.  Nor does Scoot know I stole it.

But when he wants carbs, this is his most requested summer salad. 
Being an overloaded BYU student, he couldn't join up with the rest of the family for the 4th of July, so I made this in his honor.  And because I go the extra mile, I mailed him a tub of it.  
Should've sent it overnight though.
You're welcome, Scoot.







Normally,  I would use a more fun shape of pasta, rotini or some kind of tini.   Could these be any more bahhhring?  But whatcha gonna do when you're far from civilization and these are the only ones on the store shelves?






Crab Salad

1 lb. box of pasta
2 lbs. crab meat - well it was actually "Krab"
3 cups mayo
3 cups buttermilk
1 T Old Bay Seasoning
2 T. Ranch dressing mix
pepper
1/2 bunch celery, finely diced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced

Cook the pasta in salted water (note: this is your only chance to get salt INTO the pasta, and flavor comes in layers!), al dente.  Drain and rinse in cool water until cool. Then it will all be cool.

Mix together the mayo, buttermilk, and seasonings.  Break up the crab into smaller chunks and combine together the pasta, crab, celery, and green onions. 

Even better the next day. 

Note:  I use fake crab for this. It's what you do when you make a salad big enough to feed a small country, as I have a tendency to do (yes the recipe posted here is half of what I actually made. It took two grown men to hoist it onto the counter).  Crab cakes?  Use the real thing. 


Posted by: Rona

1 comment:

  1. Rona and girls, I love your food blog! I want to be adopted by you so you can feed me everyday! :)

    ReplyDelete